The “Koumniou” church of the Holy Mother of God (earthen cask). This little Chapel is located south of the settlement on the road leading to Ora. It was constructed in 1979 to replace an earlier Chapel that had been demolished. Unfortunately, it is in desperate need of repair, and the church committee hopes to gather funds to construct a new one based on the original’s design. Villagers who were cultivating the land discovered a little symbol concealed behind an earthen cask (‘Koumni’) and gave it its current name. The locals attempted to bring the emblem to their community. During the day, they would transport it to the settlement, but by night it would return to its original location. Thus, they decided to construct a modest chapel at the exact location where it was discovered. The icon dates back to the seventeenth century and is celebrated on the Tuesday after Easter with a church service and a feast.
This is a modest chapel located on the Machairas road to the north of the settlement. It was constructed on property provided by Mrs. Androulla Palate and the ruins of an ancient church dedicated to Saint Nicolaos; it is located in the village’s south-eastern region.
“This was the village’s initial Chapel; it was restored in 1850 and is located east of the community. The church’s unique “gynaeconiti” or gynaeceum (women section discretely located on the first floor level at the rear of the building) is protected by the Antiquities Department. The church remembers on August 15 following ceremonies.
“This is the village’s principal church, dedicated to Saint George the Great. Michalis Tsolakides, who had fled to Egypt but never forgot his hometown of Vavatsinia, constructed the structure in 1912 and paid for it in full. The basilica-style church is open on the 23rd of April and the 3rd of November. The church was constructed on the site of a big “Trimithia” bush where residents lit candles in honour of Saint George.
Vavatsinia contains two churches and three chapels. The village’s large St. George the Tropeoforos-dedicated church was constructed in 1912 through a donation. It is a basilica and is located in the centre of the village.